K Visa: Fiancé Visa
K-1 visas permit U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancé into the United States in order to marry. Under a K-1 visa, your foreign fiancé is allowed to reside and work in the United States. Once your fiancé enters the U.S., you and your fiancé have 90 days to marry and apply for permanent residency. In order to obtain a K-1 visa, certain requirements must be met, such as:
- The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen
- Both you and your foreign fiancé are free to get legally married
- You met in person with your fiancé within the past two years
- Both you and your fiancé have intentions to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the U.S.
- You meet the minimum income/financial requirement
- Your fiancé does not meet any criteria that render him/her inadmissible to the U.S.